Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Hi, Im Sophie! .. You can call me "Wiggle Worm" if you'd like!

So here I am, the day after my foster mom and dad brought me home.... kind of with a fresh hair cut? ... well .... the best my foster mom Kailey could do the first night since my hair was matted down to me, when they picked me up from Lollypop!
I was Kailey & Coreys first foster, and MAN was Kailey scared. She knew what she was getting into, but at the same time boy did I suprise her! Had a rescue not taken me, and had they not decided to take the leap into fostering, I would have been put to sleep just after 8 months of life in this world. I had made what Kailey calls "The List", and not in a good way! Since she agreed to foster me, and save my life, I had just got spade the day she picked me up - I looked like a hot mess. Thank GOD she saved me the embarassment and didnt post any of those pics....But my story goes as this....

My family surrendered me when I was only 8 months old... can you believe it? I was about 8-10 pounds, and I kissed Kailey the minute I met her, but I was terrified at Lollypop and she could tell. I didnt pass my temperment test there because I was terrified on the leash and yanked away to hide in the corner, but there were over 100 BIG DOGS there BARKING at me, and I was really confused because my family that I had known my whole life so far was no where!!!

Thankfully, although I made my first night ruff, my foster parents "got me". They read my surrender sheet that night, wondering what went wrong.. you know, this long sheet of paper giving lollypop information on me to see if they should try to place me in foster care and it read like this:
Agressive? NO .... Food agression? NO.... potty trained? YES, seldom accidents.... Good with Children, cats & other dogs? Yes, very good ..... Biting history? NOPE.....  Crate Trained? YES VERY GOOD IN CRATE...............and the list goes on, all good things too!!! This is why I was so confused, because I had a mom, a dad, and a child that I loved a ton, and played with every day.... so, why did my family that I loved so much give me up??? What did they put in the "reason for owner surrender section?" ..... Their reason was this: "TOO MUCH ENERGY, A LITTLE HYPER"...

Well HELLO you idiots ... Im a puppy! DUH!
Like, I said, my first night in foster care, I was scared still, confused, looking around shakily AND I had just had some serious surgery so they were trying to keep me still so that I didnt hurt myself. To top it off, Kailey was all alone with me that night because Corey was out of town! I felt bad because Kailey was a bit overwhelemed, and I cowered in the corner alot yanking on my leash... after all, I was the Jacksons FIRST FOSTER EVER and I was out of my home that I though loved me. That night, I went to bed and really suprised her by sleeping peacefully in the crate...maybe it was that I was mentally & emotionally exhuasted, and what Kailey didnt know, is that I was praying to make her happy..... So the next morning, I woke up a new dog.

Afte that first night, Kailey reassured me every day that my parents were lazy jerks, because all I needed was to run free with lots of of toys. Sure it helped that I had two dogs to play with at my foster home, but they live in the city! So we were limited with yard space, and Roxie scared me alot at first ...(shes huge, have you seen her?!) but boy did I take advantage of that once I got comfy. Also, I really tested my limits while my surgery heeled, Im suprisingly tuff and resilient! In fact, Heres me on day 3... I know, too soon to run, but they couldnt keep me still!
The point is, Im a great dog and it wasnt fair what the humans I called "family" did to me! All I wanted was to play hard, and love hard. As soon as I as done running around ... or maybe I should call it hopping at warp speed??? I would jump up on the couch like a spring board to lay on my foster families laps. I just loved them and kissed them every chance I got, and GOSH I loved my foster sister Roxie most. I followed her everywhere, and she taught me everythting I know now, even how to sit when I get treats, and how to potty ALOT when Im outside. Basically I really annoyed Roxie... I would stand on my back legs and kiss her face as much as I could until she growled at me and corrected me,.......then I would submit fully and lay on my back with my paws in the air (trying to flirt... she wasnt buying it) 


By day 4, they had me completely figured out, and even let me sleep in the bed! I loved it, I snuggled up to one side of Kaileys arm, while Bengal was on the other side (Dont we look a lot a-like too? Thats part of the reason they wanted to save me!)... Kailey immediately sent in photos of me, and I wrote a bio about myself for families to check me out and see if they would welcome me in their home, and that evening, Kailey got a phone call! In fact, it was fate- A Vet on the board of the rescue she fosters for (www.nutsformuttsrescue.com) had a sister who just lost a dog that kind of looked like me in a way, and had another dog (halleuljah), one that was really depressed with the loss of her 5 year old sister to cancer. Sunny (my new sister) was looking for someone to make her feel better, and it was time to see if I was just that girl.

I was like a tiny package from heaven for my potential family, and Kailey was THRILLED to hear another dog was in the picture (They help me run down my puppy energy so I sleep like a rock)... The next night was the night before Thanksgiving, and after 20 minutes of meeting a sweet lady named Sue, looking to compelete their family again ... She asked my foster mom a question that she hopefully will hear for the rest of her life ... "If its okay with you Kailey, I would love to take Sophie and become her family?"

... My foster mom was speechless for a moment and she looked at Corey with tears in her eyes and didnt really know what to say because in just 4 days I went from terrifying her, to absolutley stealing her heart away! She was scared, nervous, apprehensive, worried, happy, excited, and a mix of so many emotions. Of course, ultimately she knew the answer was yes (as long as me and the other dog, Sunny got along!) ... because in her mind, if she saved me, and found me a home, she could do it again!.. and hopefully again, and again, and again, and again....

I spent Thanksgiving day with my foster family, and it really was a miracle. I stayed with Kailey all day, and gave Corey love when she wasnt around, and annoyed Roxie while Bengal avoided me and snuggled in his pillows. When we went to bed that night Kailey prayed thankful she was, and about how lucky they,were to have me as their first foster, and I layed on her chest while she did. Afterward, we fell asleep together, a temporary family of 5.

The next morning, Kailey hugged me and cried alot, and Corey reassured her that they were doing the right thing for the right reason. I got all fed and ready to go to my new home & the best part is that when I got there, doubts did not exist in my foster parents mind! I met sunny, my sister now, and we ran around their HUGE yard in Pittsford, the whole time, until I said goodbye to my fosters. My new yard is WAY bigger anyways... I live in an outdoor mansion now practically!!! I know that I may never see Kailey & Corey again, but a week 1/2 after my fosters let me go, I wrote them a letter to reassure them, and let them know how I was doing, afterall, I knew they would worry, so this is what I had to say:

Dear Kailey and Corey -
Sorry I haven't written sooner, but I've been so busy since the last time I saw you.
First of all, since I didn't seem to recognize my name, so Mom said "New life, new name". We decided on Chloe and now I answer every time Mom or Dad call me. I like my new yard and a young man from Invisible Fence is coming on Tuesday to put flags in the yard and teach me the boundaries (Mom says he'll feed me pieces of hot dog to help me learn). Then I'll be able to run around and burn off some of my puppy energy.
Mom bought me lots of toys and I even have a few of them left (you know how much I love to chew on on my toys). However, my favorite chew toy is my big sister, Sun. There is something about her ears and tail that I can't resist. I steal her toys and food, but she's very patient with me and I follow her everywhere (I think she was very lonely too). We even cuddle sometimes in the same bed.
We had a big party last night and I met lots of aunts and uncles and cousins. Everybody hugged me and kissed me and told me I was very cute and sweet - I just love people and I had a really great time. I even showed them how I can sit on command (thanks, Corey!) and got some doggy treats for my performance - hey, this is easy.
Sometimes I just want to stay outside a little too long and then I start to shiver, so Mom bought me a little doggie sweater. We wrestled for about 10 minutes when Mom put it on me and then I rolled on my back and tried to bite it off. I would be embarrassed to have anyone see me in it, so we decided to let my hair grow out and Mom through the sweater away - what was she thinking?
I've got to go now (it's time for my after dinner nap) but I wanted to thank you so much for loving me and giving me hugs and kisses when I so desperately needed them. Mom and Dad can't understand how anyone could have given me away. They say I am just a puppy - a sweet little girl and a bundle of love. I just needed love, patience, and a routine.
Lots of kisses,
Chloe (AKA Sophie)

Im really happy in my new home, and Im so lucky to have had a second chance. I hope the family, that stepped into temporarily house me while I searched for my furever home, never forgets me... But I feel it in my gut... I dont think they will ;)

***Thank you Mike & Sue, for saving this amazing girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment