Tuesday, May 29, 2012

I never had a name, and I never will.

I just wanted to take a moment to share the story of this little babe, who never had a name and never will.
A 5 pound Min Pin wandered to the door step of a girl that I never knew. A mutual friend re-posted, Free to a good home with a brief story about how he was lost, scared, really sweet and only wanted attention. Clearly emaciated (you can tell by the photo) he had no tags but a collar, and that she wanted to find his owners or give him a good home.

Being the person that always over steps by boundaries to help something that cannot help themselves, the first thing I said was don't call animal control. This is because if he ends up at Rochester Animal Services or Lollypop Farm, there is a HIGH CHANCE that a dog this thin will fail the temp test because he is scared and growls over a bone, food or something... anything.

Let me just take a moment to say that of my own 3 dogs (that I love & adore so much that I would do anything for them because of the joy they bring into my life and the love the shower me with)-I know for a fact that only ONE of them, if put in this situation with temperament testing would have a chance to pass. That would be Bengal. The others would be deemed too aggressive to adopt out. They have a huge fear of strangers without Corey and I there to let them know its okay, in which case they would bark and growl- one is 5 lbs, one is 90 lbs. They would be euthanized immediately if no rescue thought was given. Especially my German Shepherd because of her breed... she would not stand a chance.

The thing is, my dogs that would not pass are the most loving dogs you could imagine once they get to know you and trust you, and it does NOT take a long time, an hour perhaps?!
This poor girl who found this dog had NO IDEA that this was the case. Rochester Animal Services and Lollypop Farm especially, are very respected organizations in the community, as they should be- but are masked by their beautiful exteriors. I stand behind them in many situations as well as what they stand for helping as many as they can, but this is an example of how THE SYSTEM FAILED. Sometimes people get immune to pain and suffering when its your job on a daily basis, and without knowledge and education on this subject YOU WONT KNOW HOW TO PREVENT THIS IN THE FUTURE

Since no one stepped forward, and I made her nervous about his demise (again, I always overstep my boundaries when I see a situation that makes me panic I know the signs too well), this poor girl actually really really cared and tried to get him back. Animal services would not let her have him, and had already taken him to Lollypop. Lollypop would not let her have him, even though SHE WAS WILLING TO FOSTER HIM, she was willing to pay for the fees to get him out of there, any shots they wanted to give him, and she even had a friend that wanted to give him a good home.

Their response with no names attached was this
"Unfortunately, the euthanasia has been done.
I’m assuming that you spoke to a woman named ___? I did talk to her this morning and told her that the level of aggression was pretty bad. The dog did not appear to be severely underweight to me—maybe a little on the thin side but none of his ribs or hips were visible.
I watched the tape of the food test, and it was one of the worst I have seen. The dog began growling when approached, and when the hand reached for the food, he bit and ripped the hand off the wooden stick that holds it, and then stood barking at the handler."

Make your own judgements, its a free world.

May this poor baby rest in peace. He left the world today, May 29, 2012 against the wishes of a person that decided to love him and care for him. Say a prayer as he crosses rainbow bridge today!



No comments:

Post a Comment