Friday, May 25, 2012

Lucy Part 1: This is how I got my name

Hello...I'm Lucy.
I came from Hell. You know Hell as a "puppy mill", where all the "puppies in the window" come from... (no offense Bengal), but I know it as Hell, and this particular "Hell" was located in Missouri.

It took me a while to write about myself because 4 months ago, I wouldn't have known what to say. I had no name, no words, no knowledge of love and affection ... I thought humans were cruel and horrible that swore at me all day, tossed me around like a rag doll, and I was positive that my only purpose in this world was to breed until I physically died from the pain and anguish it caused my tiny little 6 pound body.

When Corey & Kailey first agreed to foster me, it was because my "Hell" had just been busted up and shut down. Over 100 Chihuahuas were stuffed in cages, living in filth, sick, scared, confused, and at risk of being put down for no other reason than a bunch of cruel people put us in this situation. All because they wanted to turn a profit the easiest way they could even if it meant abuse, over-crowding and disease. They had no idea what they were getting into....

They got the call that the" last of the Chis" able to be taken into Nuts for Mutts Rescue (7) would arrive on a Sunday evening, and that they were to come to the center and pick out the one they wanted to foster. This is the first she ever saw of me, at the time I was called Cara:

Kailey already had her eye on me from the photos ... you see she got an email of 13 of my friends that needed help, and I had these big sad eyes that grabbed at her, she also felt sad that I was so little and my collar hung off of me.


"Ceebow, Female"

Now the unfair part which made my foster
mom cry silently before she ever got me is that these were all of my friends that came in that email who were able to be saved, but STILL needed rescuing:

"Chinkalee Female"
"Clippi, Female"
"Carrie Female"
"Joyce, Female"



"Fawness Female"


Minni, Female
Lilly Female

"Lou female"


Pretty Frustrating isn't it?
I know, all my friends look terrified. They were, WE were and I can only hope and pray that they went to amazing foster homes, and found families like I eventually did... ( I will get to that don't worry) .. but in the mean time, 7 of us made the long trip to Rochester, NY. As you can see, we were all girls because "HELL" needs as many girls as possible to over produce for a profit. That cold winter night at the rescue, Kailey & Corey had to choose, and they chose to help me.

 Now, when my foster parents got there, the other ladies had already arrived (a lot of times my foster dad is the only man around because he has a soft spot and wants to be involved instead of acting like a Tuff guy .. which makes him even more macho if you ask me). They were use to this sort of thing, and it was Kailey & Corey's first "tuff" case... so they were scared.  All of us were in crates piled on top of each other because this is what we were use to so they did not want to disrupt that. We were all shaking, cowering & trembling.

Kailey fought tears. She tries to be "tuff" too- and she is - with people. She doesn't care what she says, or who she says it to and if you don't like it then that's your choice, but with animals its different because you can see into our soul, and all we want is love and comfort. Just like a newborn baby, we need you, our life depends on you and that kind of innocence breaks her heart. Corey saw what was happening so he stepped in to check us all out and of course, not afraid of anything he wanted my friend "Lou" pictured above. Lou was pitiful, and not by her own fault. Most of us wouldn't make eye contact with the humans, but if Lou accidentally did she got so terrified she would pee a little. All Corey wanted to do was hold her until she felt better but Kailey was too afraid that they would damage her because they had never taken on a rescue like us before and did not know what they were doing. So, I started poking my nose out of the crate and she mentioned to Corey that I had already caught my eye, I looked curious in person, resembled a little baby Fawn, and would be their best choice. They do work full time after all, so in comparison to the others I was the one that needed the least amount of attention....

That night was so hard on all of us. The minute I left my sisters, (both by blood and by cage companionship) I feel into pure fear. I had no idea what was going on, Kailey started crying in the car because she was sick about the capability humans have to be cruel, and Corey kept hugging her telling her that they were doing a good thing and that they COULD do this and WOULD do this.

It was Corey that sat in the bathroom with me for 3 hours that night. He waited patiently, and with his calm personality in the room I finally moved a little (not much) but I sniffed him, stuck my head out, and that little bit of movement was immense progress. Afer all, I had never been in silence, I had never been out of a crate, I had never been around people who meant well, and I certainly had never had freedom and kindness. I was too scared to just have the run of the house and play, and I had to meet Roxie & Bengal behind bars because I was scared of them.

Eventually Corey pulled me out of the crate to let me try and go potty outside (which was another whole moment of terror for me). When he brought me back, he gave me the choice, and I BOLTED back into my crate (It was the only place I felt safe). He said to Kailey that my name was NOT Cara, that I was now Lucy. She Love's and admires Corey when he takes ownership of the fosters because it shows her that his heart is as big as the sky, so she gladly agreed.

Everyone slept REALLY hard that night. It was an emotional couple of hours, and I was exhausted and confused, so very confused. The next month and a half was even more emotional and exhausting, which deserves its own post, and I will then tell you the story of how I found the most perfect family I could ever imagine! Afterall, when people ask Kailey & Corey about me all they can say is that it was the hardest, yet most rewarding thing that they had ever done so far in their whole life.



No comments:

Post a Comment