Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Shayna & Jack find little Charlie.


So I have some really great people out there that I love with everything in my soul just because of who they are as a person inside & out... They may not even know how much I love them! One in particular is my girlfriend Shayna. She has a heart of solid gold.

Meet Shayna & Jack! ...............( I know, They're beautiful)



When I first started getting involved in rescuing I felt alone, awkward, and it was as if no one but my husband could understand what I was doing which kind of made me embarrassed & unsure (at the time). People who barely know me even say things like, "you rescue dogs? you foster?... I didn't peg you for that kind of person.." Like what... I have to be shallow just because I love fashion, design, jewelery & anything that sparkles? Give me a damn break. People also think I am crazy because I feel so strongly about it... but if you dont have passion for something, how can you feel alive?


So all of a sudden I started cross posting dogs in need on Facebook and I got a call from Shayna one day that I wont ever forget because she was the very first person I "affected" by my "passion" to do as much as I could, in this little life I have. Shayna wanted to help! She was really hurting over the things I was putting out there, what some of these dogs were going through. So, she took on her first foster, in her Buffalo NY apartment, with her dog Jack, where she was a full time Nurse, finishing something important in education that goes along with all those smartie Nurses, and deciding whether or not she was moving to Philadelphia soon... but she took her on anyways. Her name was Rosie!


Well, of course Rosie had a great foster mom, and eventually got adopted, but midway during that whole process Shayna took on another life in need. This new lifes (new) name was Vada.

 Shayna found Vada in the streets of Buffalo at midnight, in 4 inch heels, on her way out with friends. To say that my phone started blowing up shortly after is an understatement. She was so concerned she dropped everything she was doing to help this dog, got Vada in her car, left her friends, and went home to figure out her next step, even though she literally had no idea what she was doing.

Vada was thin, looked like she had just had puppies, and was as sweet as can be... to Shayna. We found out later she was NOT good with other dogs, and we assume its because of dog fighting or some kind of neglect of that nature. Shayna was able to get Vada into Buffalo Paws & Claws no-kill rescue in East Aurora NY. You see, being a pit bull, we knew there would be no chance at a shelter.
Vada needed surgery. As you can see above, Shayna made sure it happened & went to visit her after. Vada was bad with dogs. As you can see, Shayna wouldn't accept that, and pictured above is the "aggressive pit bull" that once hated dogs sitting happily with another at obedience classes.

Shayna is a person that makes this world a better place.

Well, over time, Shayna confirmed her move to Philadelphia, PA was going to happen (heart breaking), but that little Nurse has big plans. Not knowing she was ready for another dog, I frantically texted her one day a picture of a puppy that looked just like Jack that was at Rochester Animal Services. Following that was a phone call saying: "I want him, help me".

You see, Rochester Animal Services, although forced with difficult decisions daily, does do great things. A pregnant dog wandered up to the shelter and laid by the doors this year on Thanksgiving Eve. Seeing the state that she was in, a shelter volunteer took her home to take care of her. On Thanksgiving Day, volunteers helped that stray girl have 9 puppies! It was a small miracle that she wandered to the Shelter door step asking for help! The mom got adopted first too (which makes my heart soar with happiness)! A few weeks later the miracle pups were ready for adoption, and I went to go get Jack #2 for Shayna. Luckily he was one of the last two left, along with a little girl that looked NOTHING like him. After two hours of debate over the phone Shayna decided she wanted the little girl even though we loved little Jack#2 (LOTS of people wanted to make him their own).

Meet Charlie! This was the day we  adopted Charlie and brought her home. Corey & I officially became her Aunt & Uncle, and Shayna became her mommy, flying from Buffalo to finally meet her! Roxie, Bengal (and Lucy at the time) got to meet her, and she took to Roxie like all the little dogs did- following her around, trying to snuggle her, and asking "Are you my mom?". It was so cute to see that 2 pound baby paw my 90 pound GSD who rolled over on her back for her. She was so tiny she could fit into the palm of your hand!

We still don't know what Charlie is, and we don't care. All we know is that it was meant to be that day. Now Shayna and her little family are happily settling down in their new apartment in Philadelphia, sending me the occasional picture to keep me up to date on their lives and I would not have it any other way. Charlie is still the cutest thing ever, she and Jack are besties, and she is shaping up to be one of the most adorable, hysterical, and unique dogs I have ever seen!




Its funny how a dog can change your life. Every dog that I help has some kind of impact on me, and to know that one of the miracle puppies is in the hands of Shayna is an amazing feeling to have.

Shayna has gotten so busy with the recent move and all (literally it was last week haha) but whenever she can, she finds a way to help. Even if its just to spread the word. That's all I ask of anyone in this world in regards to what I'm passionate about... Give respect, and at least consider the possibility of adopting. If you want to help, find your own way, anything helps and is appreciated.


 Hopefully there is something that we all have a passion for.... Helping children, cancer research, participating in 5k's for a good cause... anything. This happens to be my something. If you are not making a positive difference in the world for something you believe in, even if it's a small one, then I feel sorry for you because you will NEVER know what it feels like to love the way I do, live the way I do, and be moved to the core of your soul the way I am. You will also never know what an inspiration people can be to you either... Like my girl Shayna.


To Jack & Shayna, Thank you for adopting the bat/monkey/gremlin we call "Charlie". Shes amazing and you guys deserve the best the word has to give for all eternity <3

2 comments:

  1. Okay so I'm totally blushing (not to mention tearing up). What kind words Kailey, thank you! We love you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shayna, you are wonderful! We all love YOU

      Delete